In my last post I showed you the start of a new top that I was planning on putting together this weekend. I was so revved up to get it done that I finished it this morning and shared a few photos on instagram. I was inspired to get doing it from a new friend on instagram, Janice of Bangle Services.
Here are the photos and some of the steps I took to complete this top.
These were the two fabrics I had to work with. The top is a maxi dress that I had cut off to make a short dress, but didn’t like it so I wanted to make it into a long tunic blouse.
This green top is one of my favorites and I used it to measure how much fabric to cut off the bottom of the white dress. I folded the green top in half length wise, lining up the side seems, and then lined up the shoulder seams of both pieces of clothing. I made sure that the fabrics were flat and had no folds or wrinkles in them and then I folded the ruffle that is on the bottom of the green top up because I didn’t want that in the length measurement since I was going to add a ruffle to the bottom of the white top, and if I included the ruffle in the whole length it would have made the white top way to long for my liking. I hope that makes sense.
So I measured the distance between the seam of the green top to the bottom of the white dress and carried that measurement all the way across the width of the white dress with my clear ruler, making sure that both of the layers of the dress were even at the bottom and had no wrinkles in them, then I cut it off with my rotary cutter. You could use scissors, I just find it easiest to cut straight lines with the rotary cutter.
Next I measured the length of the ruffle on the green top and carried that measurement over to the floral fabric that was going to be added to the bottom of my new top. I then cut that off as well.
As you can see in the last photo, the floral fabric was wider than the white top so I had to do some gathering.
I used a long stitch length on my machine and stitched all the way around the edge of my fabric. My fabric had three seam lines in it, two side seams and one back seam, so I had to make three different lines of gathering stitches to miss those because the fabric was too thick to gather through the seam lines too. Here is a great tutorial that I found to help you if you don’t know how to gather. Leslie at The Seasoned Homemaker explains the process very well, and she shows a great way to do it without having to worry about pulling the end of the threads through while you do the gathering.
And then I pinned the two fabrics together with the rights sides facing each other and the edges even.
I followed the line of gathering stitches as my seam allowance to ensure that the gathering stitches did not show on the outside of the top when I was finished.
I then turned the top right side out and did a top stitch all along the outside sewn edge to make it lay better and to give it a more finished look. I think it looks good.
And I decided to remove the two pockets on the front instead of trying to cover up the starfish motifs. I was very careful with my stitch ripper so I didn’t create any holes in the fabric. They came off nicely even though you can see where they were attached. That will disappear after washing it I think. Then I had to take care of the shell motifs at the top of the garment. I used cut out flowers from the leftover pieces of the floral fabric I used on the bottom of this new top.
I just used a zigzag stitch to secure them.
So there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you. If you have any questions or comments I would love to hear from you. I would love it if you shared some of your re-do’s with me too.
Until next time, be blessed!
This post was shared on